Scholarship Application Overview
The Texas Chapter of the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (TXNAHRO) is a professional membership organization consisting of agencies and individuals who administer housing and community development in the state of Texas. NAHRO is the leading housing and community development advocate for the provision of adequate and affordable housing and strong, viable communities for all Americans, particularly those with low and moderate incomes.
TXNAHRO provides scholarships each year to deserving high school seniors, graduating in the Spring following this application deadline, and who are currently living with their families as Public Housing or Section 8 program residents.
Available scholarships are one (1), $2,500 Jim Hargrove Scholarship, and eight (8) $1,000 scholarships.
DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 17, 2022
Applicants for TXNAHRO Scholarships must:
- Be a resident of public housing or a participant in the Section 8 program in which you are living.
- Be a graduating high school senior. (You can not have graduated in the previous year or be in college already for this scholarship. It is intended to help high school seniors get started immediately in college).
- Demonstrate exceptional school attendance.
- Demonstrate high academic achievement.
- Demonstrate leadership and/or high level of motivation.
- Be a resident of a Housing Authority/ or Community Development (CD) agency that is a member of TXNAHRO.
ONLINE APPLICATION CHECKLIST:
Applicants are required to submit the following items:
- Housing Agency Certification signed by the Executive Director of the housing agency in which you reside. (click here to download form)
- Transcript or certified copy of grades with grade point average and scale used – whether 4 pt. scale, 5 pt. scale, etc., class rank/size, proficiency test scores (TAKS, etc., whatever standardized testing system is used and ACT and/or SAT scores, if taken). It is very important to include all the above information so that all scholarship applicants can be evaluated on the same criteria.
- TWO letters of recommendation; one from a community leader and one from a high school instructor.
- One (1) recent photo (if a professional photo is not available, even a cell-phone selfie will be accepted, if a better quality portrait is unavailable). This is very important for the awards ceremony!
- *NEW* Please submit a 3 minute or less video of yourself describing your short and long-term goals in life, why you are pursuing your particular college degree or vocational training program and an achievement or an event in your life that has been especially significant.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED—THEY WILL BE REJECTED
Texas NAHRO Award Overview
In all categories, a fully completed official Award Entry Form must accompany submissions. Submissions unaccompanied by a properly completed official Award Entry Form or not meeting the requirements of the category entered will not be considered. Submissions which fail to meet membership requirements will not be considered.
Submitting agencies must be current members of Texas NAHRO or an individual associated with such an agency.
DEADLINE: JANUARY 14, 2022
Texas NAHRO Award Categories
For all agency awards, entries submitted must represent an agency that is a current member of Texas NAHRO. For individual awards, nominees’ must be an employee, resident or commissioner of an agency that is a current member of Texas NAHRO.
Agency Size Classifications:
Very Small Housing Authority (less than 150 units under management or lease)
Small Housing Authority (151 – 500 units under management or lease)
Medium Housing Authority (501 – 1,500 units under management or lease)
Large Housing Authority (1,501 – 9,999 units under management or lease)
Very Large Housing Authority (over 10,000 units under management or lease)
Small Community Development Agency (under 10,000 population served)
Large Community Development Agency (over 10,001 population served)
Hall of Fame
Purpose: To honor persons who have made exceptional contributions through their participation and service in NAHRO and to the quality of life through proven, sustained service with NAHRO and in the field of housing or community development. Awards will be made on the basis of extraordinary accomplishments and contributions.
Qualifications: Each nominee must have demonstrated outstanding contributions to NAHRO and in achieving the goal of “a decent home and suitable living environment for every family” in the State of Texas. Eligible nominees include housing / community development officials, public servants, civic leaders or HUD officials active in the State of Texas.
Judging Guidelines: Recipients will be selected on the basis of their outstanding achievements in providing service to NAHRO and “a decent home and suitable living environment for every family”, in the following areas:
- Membership in NAHRO at the state, regional and national levels
- Participation in NAHRO as a member, committee and task force member, Board of Directors member, and officer
- Demonstrated commitment to solving housing and urban problems
- Demonstrated excellence in administration of housing and urban programs and evidence of improvement in the quality of life
- Sustained personal commitment in the field of housing / community development
- Service in which the nominee has created positive public support and a positive image for housing or community development programs
- Service by creating, causing to be created, or passing laws at any level of government which facilitated the delivery of housing / community development services
- Service leading to new techniques to finance housing / community development programs or to provide services to consumers of these programs or to contribute otherwise to economic development of communities
- Service which has caused better and / or more cost effective housing and community development programs or systems
- Service in increasing the supply of affordable housing, redevelopment, economic development, social service / welfare, or other services
- Service in teaching, research, writing, or the development of educational programs in the areas of housing and community development.
The Texas NAHRO Hall of Fame Award Selections Committee will screen and select recipients from the entries. The Hall of Fame recipient will be honored at the Annual Conference of the Chapter.
Submission Format: Nominations must include the following information:
- Nominee’s name, address and telephone number.
- Nominator’s name, address and telephone number.
- Field of Service of which the nomination is based.
- A concise statement of the nominee’s:
- Membership in NAHRO at the state, regional, and national levels, membership positions in committees, task forces, Boards and officer positions, and NAHRO awards;
- Achievements in the fundamental goal of providing “a decent home and suitable living environment for every family”;
- Projects, actions or policies demonstrating nominee’s contributions, in chronological order;
- Awards and commendations received, in chronological order;
- Professional affiliations; and
- Letters of recommendation supporting the nomination.
DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 25, 2022
What Home Means to Me
ENTRY DEADLINE: MAY 4, 2022
How to Enter
Housing authorities submitting entries to the national poster contest must first send entries to its local/state NAHRO chapter. Local/state NAHRO chapters are encouraged to host their own poster contests and submit the winning posters from each age category to their regional council. Local/state chapter contests are optional. Each regional council will determine a deadline for poster contest entries and a date for regional judging. National NAHRO is not involved in the scheduling or conduct of regional council contests.
The regional council will select three winners –one from each age category – and forward those on to the national competition in Washington, D.C. National NAHRO will not accept submissions from individual housing authorities. Any submissions sent directly to national NAHRO will be disqualified.
Please Mail Posters to:
12246 FM 1769
Graham, TX 76450
For more Information, Contact the TEXAS NAHRO Service Office at (940) 521-9982